What is Social Media?
Social Media is described as “forms of electronic communication through which users create online communities in order to share information, ideas, events, messages, videos and photos”. The online communities such as Facebook, Twitter or Instagram are free to join. On Facebook, you can create a page for personal use and another one for an organization.
Social media links are when hyperlinks (url addresses) are added to an image or to text, that when users click on them, take them directly to your social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. They may show up on an image, as different coloured text, underlined text or a finger pointing to indicate that it’s linked. That makes it easy for visitors to find and follow your social media postings by clicking on the hyperlinked text or image.
This can help to increase your reach and build brand awareness (who you are and what you do). You will have the opportunity to interact directly with people who are interested on your social media platforms, welcome new members or followers to your page, answer questions, and invite them to come to your meetings or events.
Additionally, social media links can improve your search engine optimization (SEO). SEO is when people click on your url link or share your content, it boosts your ranking in the browser’s search results. The more people click your links and share your content, the higher your ranking. That’s a good thing, otherwise your content might be found way down on page 10 or lower on the search engine browser.
Facebook in 2022 recorded approximately 30.4 million users in Canada, with a whopping 50% between the ages of 40-65+. Facebook is the social media of choice for Horticultural Societies to advertise meetings, events and creating interest to attract new members. Do a search for “Horticultural Societies” and see how many you can add as friend, join or follow. There are many, you may have to pick and choose.
- Check out this video – A Complete Beginner’s Guide to Facebook
- Sharing content across social media platforms A Multi-Platform Guide to Effective Linking on Social Media Sites (courtesy of PrettyLinks blog article)
- How to create a hyperlink – by SmartBlogger – what is it, how do you use it, and how to make your content clickable
- Facebook has taken over Instagram, it will ask if you want to post on both platforms.
- To post across all social media, use a free program like Share Link Generator: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and Email mailto forms or a paid program like Hootsuite.
- Share your website content by showing your hyperlinked social media icons, people will open the platform they wish to share on.